Friday, July 9, 2010

You did what to the kitchen?



So what does a girl do when she is tired of being PATIENT? I was this girl---- I was still waiting (Patiently remember....) for my plastic to come so I could finish my greenhouse--- all the plants in my little temp box were crowding each other and straining to get their share of the light.... I was also tapping my foot and watching the days ticking by on the calendar -- Don't they know that I have veggies to plant in my greenhouse?---- why are they taking 3.75 weeks to get it to me--- It would not have been so bad but I had already gotten half the order 2 1/2 weeks ago--- just not the plastic skin. ARGGGGG!

Anyways back to my question... what is a girl to do? Why tear up her kitchen of course..... the week was super rainy..... so doing anything outside was not such a fun option. It started with building a couple of shelves for my corner racks....and the next thing I know I am building cabinet boxes, taking off my plastic covered pretend countertop and away we go. See the picture above is what I got moving into this house.... not much of a kitchen really. And sadly the kitchen is perhaps the place I spend most of my time.... cooking -- trying in vain to fill up 5 teenagers 24-7. ---- Having said that I have to say that tearing my kitchen up has been a royal pain in the you know what in the meal department. Eating and cleaning up has been quite a challenge. Every time I turn around someone is getting my new countertop wet or dirty and so I have to wait longer to seal it ---

Then what do you think happens to help get it done--- why we run out of water of course. We are on a water catch and containment -- (in layman terms ---- we catch water from the rain and keep it in a large black tank-- then pump it in our house to use.) We think there is a crack or hole in the tank..:( the silver lining in this is....... No water---no messing up my countertop-- it was just the window of opportunity I needed...... I sanded away... my kids are a bit skittish though.... every time I think that one of them are getting with in an arms length of my countertop- I chase them out. I think they will be excited to get the project completed too.

So back to my story/ explanation. The confines of the kitchen foot print kept me from changing the layout sadly... so I had to get creative. Oh and did I mention that I really didn't have much of a budget for this--- especially since I hadn't even talked to Travis about it :)

So the top two pictures are of its condition right now-- I am applying the coats of paint to the base and sealer to countertop the last picture is what it looks like before.... I will post pics when it is completed.

A many thanks goes out to my Sister Amber who went shopping at the fabric store for me to get some items that were needed to this project too! She boldly shopped for me- despite the pressure and allowed me to run her all over the store while she described to me what my options were VIA cell phone---- Many thanks Sis! Promise to post pics of the completed project as soon as the fabric comes and I get it all sewn up!

I am already planning new shelves for the opposite wall and perhaps some cabinets for above the countertops..... Travis is of course not aware of my plans though... I am waiting for the opportune moment --- I am also waiting for my new water filter to get here so I can design around that! And I will have to build everything from scratch.... There is only a small hardware store here with VERY limited stock..... but isn't that part of the fun? ....stay tuned......




1 comment:

Dawn said...

You are having such an adventure!! It reminds me of growing up and 'waiting' for my dad to start a project, him never starting it and my mom tearing into something! And the kitchen, that's the hardest room to redo amongst hungry kids! Mine are all under 10 and I feel like I'm in there all day long. I can't imagine feeding them all as teenagers! Love to hear the updates from up north!!

Oh the hair!

Oh the hair!
this is our dear tivi.....look at the fro!!! the hair is a favorite :)